Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Religious Post

I don't do too many religious post... but this one kinda struck me. Last night, my mother invited me to her Relief Society program that her stake had put together. It was a short musical that told the parable of the Ten Virgins. My mother has a limited addition of the painting shown above. I always gave her grief about it because it is so 1980's looking... which I think is actually about the time it was painted... a lot of brown hues in the picture and what not... anyway... after attending the program last night... I doubt I will give her grief for the painting anymore. If you aren't too familiar with this parable, I would consider you should become.
The musical explained the roles of each of the ten virgins. Their task was to see the shop keeper that made their oil lamps often, that he may replenish their oil so their lamps would stay light. Some of the virgins did and some didn't. It explained what their personalities were like and roles they played in this world.
I could see a little of myself in each of the ten virgins. The ones that were more comparable to me of course were the ones that forgot or procrastinated in seeing the shop keeper to obtain more oil for their lamps. One of them was so busy with her every day life that she kept telling herself that she would get oil another day. Another was a virgin of humility. She was always so concerned with what others thought of her and how she appeared and looked that she didn't tend to the oil in her lamp as she should. So in the final hour when the 10 virgins were suppose to use their lamps for the shop keeper's wedding to light up the room half of the woman were so unprepared. They waited for so long to participate in the wedding and use their oil lamps but 5 of them procrastinated and were unable to.
While watching this musical with my mother, I began to reflect on my life. How I wouldn't care about attending all of my church meetings and I only read my scriptures every so often and never pray (I always say prayers in my heart as I go along my day, but I think it has been a few months since I kneeled at my bed to pray).
I don't care what religion (if any) you are. I think that we owe it to our God to check in and pray for guidance and give thanks for all that we have. One thing that I truly admired about President George W. Bush, is that he admitted in a public interview that he prayed every day for guidance. I think that is wonderful especially knowing how much slander and grief he would get from this country that is forsaking its God.
Anyway, last night really made me reflect on my life. I didn't find it much important to attend all of my church meetings because I knew what was in my heart. I made excuses like how hard it is with a child who won't hold still. Which it really is, but the importance of learning and growing from the spirit is far more than sitting at home with my child and let him reign terror there instead. The point is, I spent my life caring too much what others thought of me and my appearance and worrying about so many other things other than growing and pertaining the gospel to my every day life. I always think of how busy I am and I would put off reading my scriptures (though this past week instead of interacting with others on facebook I have downloaded the Book of Mormon on my iphone and have been reading it from there... even before my enlightenment from last night... go me!) or daily prayer. The Ten Virgins parable was of 10 women who were all religious woman. It showed their imperfections and their strengths. But how some failed to be prepared. I am a Latter Day Saint. I used to be and sometimes am still embarrassed to admit how "churchy" I am to those who aren't because they have a bad taste in their mouths of what we are believed to be like. And I always stressed to show them how laid back I am and non-judgmental. I really am a spiritual person. A lot of people don't see that because my flaw is that I am too prideful to show it. But I do pray almost every day in my heart though I really need to start kneeling. And I do know where my stance is on the gospel. I just need to keep a daily focus on what is important in this life. The gospel. It will help strengthen my family as we grow together and strengthen me as a mother, wife, and daughter of our heavenly father. I have so many flaws and I am truly thankful for the trials and tribulations that help me to grow and work on my imperfections in this life. I am so grateful for such a strong husband who reminds me to embrace the gospel and rely on our Lord.
Sorry this came out kinda mumbo jumbo'd. Its hard to explain sometimes my feelings and voice my imperfections. I am not afraid to voice my spirituality anymore. I am working on becoming the best that I can. The gospel is so important in my life and I need to reflect that more in my myself and my actions. I am so grateful for the opportunity I had last night. Insight to where we possibly stand and where we need to be is very important. We can't forget that we don't know when the last hour may be at hand and its important to be prepared and not get caught up in the distractions of this world.
So sorry for this post being so personal and religious. If you think its stupid, tacky or lame... I don't care. I just wanted to share my thoughts. Thank you to those who took the time to read. I would love comments and any further insights. Thanks.

6 comments:

  1. Go Megan. I love this. I've always said this but I love honest and open blogs. I know some people don't really open up because of privacy etc etc and I respect that, but I just EAT IT UP when someone allows me to read their honest, true thoughts whether I agree with them or not. And in your case, I totally agree. I am such a slacker. It's good to have the reminder (que: your blog) that there is a bigger picture to my procrastination. Thanks again for the honesty and reminder. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its amazing how far you have come megan! Did you think back in highschool you would be saying these kinds of things?
    You are amazing girlfriend.
    I like what you said about "we owe it to him to check in" what great words.
    love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go you is right!! I think the things you struggle with are what most poeple struggle with as well... Living in the world, but not of the world. Being steadfast in the Gospel but not being self righteous about it.

    Thank goodness we have a merciful Father who understands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post. I loved reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this. Don't be sorry. I am like you too... I probably say 5-10 prayers in my heart daily. It is hard not to get caught up in "worldy" things. This like is to be enjoyed... not endured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. Thank you for your thoughts. I am like you, I feel like i need to show everyone around me how 'non-judgemental' and 'laid back' in my spiritual views I am. I am NOT active in any religion by any stretch of the word, but I do know what I believe and I know my God loves me for me. He knows what is in my heart and he knows I am a good person who tries every day to be the best person I can be.
    So thank you...

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for Visiting

Come Again Soon!

Sponsored by the real estate web design web page.